Important Applications Of Titanium and Titanium Alloys in The Medical Field-I
Important Applications Of Titanium and Titanium Alloys In The Medical Field
1. Applications of Titanium in The Medical Field
Medical titanium alloy as a new alloy, but also as a carrier material, which is widely used in limb implantation, alternative functional materials, dentistry, medical devices and other related fields. Titanium and titanium alloys have: good corrosion resistance, high specific strength, low elastic modulus, fatigue resistance, good biocompatibility and other characteristics. Its good biocompatibility makes it a unique advantage compared with other metals, so it is widely used in the field of medicine, but because of its wear resistance and process performance is not high, the work is also being carried out to further improve it.
The main advantages of titanium and titanium alloys as implants are:
1) High strength, chemical stability and biocompatibility;
2) Non-poisonous, will not cause harm to human body;
3) Low modulus of elasticity, better match with human bones;
4) Memory alloy has the flexibility and shape recovery function.
To sum up, the application of titanium in cranial repair is mainly reflected in the following aspects: the use of titanium mesh can repair the skull defect.
The application in human cardiovascular field is reflected in: the preparation of artificial heart valve, blood filter, cardiac pacemaker and artificial heart pump.
2. Advantages of Titanium In Medical Device Manufacturing
The advantages of medical titanium alloy for medical devices are:
1) The instrument is light, the operation process can reduce the damage to blood vessels, muscles, organs, reduce the fatigue of doctors, medical titanium instruments are more suitable for fine microsurgery;
2) Good corrosion resistance and non-toxic, equipment does not rust, the wound is not easy to infection, wound healing fast;
3) The elasticity of medical titanium alloy is moderate, suitable for forceps, tweezers, microscalpel and other instruments;
4) When operating under shadowless lamp, the reflective performance of medical titanium is weaker, which is more appropriate than stainless steel.
Medical instruments made of titanium mainly include: scalpel, surgical forceps, surgical tweezers, chest enlargement, suture needle, suture line and so on. Medical titanium wire is used as surgical suture. Compared with other materials (such as stainless steel wire), it has the advantages of small tissue reaction and good torsion resistance. After suturing, the surgical wound is not easy to become inflamed, and the bone suture site is not easy to shift. Generally, medical titanium wires (TA1 or TA2 wires) with diameters of 0.5~0.8mm are used as sutures. In addition, titanium nickel alloy wire can produce soft elasticity, can promote rapid wound healing.
In addition, medical titanium alloy is also an important material for auxiliary rehabilitation equipment, such as wheelchair, crutches, splints, medical instruments and so on.